Often buried underneath socks and utterly ignored, our toenails usually tend to escape our attention – that is, of course, until there is a problem.
But did you know that the American Podiatric Medical Association reminds us that toenails often serve as “barometers of our health” and that they “can indicate the presence or onset of systemic diseases”? It’s true! Nails that are rounded inward instead of outward can indicate an iron deficiency anemia, for instance.
That alone should help you understand the importance of caring for and paying attention to your toes!
What’s more, toenail issues can also be a source of embarrassment to many people. This is especially true if you have been dealing with a nasty toenail fungus that just won’t go away. You may even attempt to hide them under socks and shoes, taking an “out of sight, out of mind” approach, but the truth is doing so will only make matters worse.
Instead of ignoring the problem or waiting for it to resolve itself, let the experts at Advanced Foot Care help you restore your toenails back to health.
Below are a few easy foot care habits that will help ensure your toes are kept fresh and healthy:
- Check your feet every day. Especially if you are living with diabetes. Look for changes in the texture and color of your toenails.
- Practice good foot hygiene. Wash your feet on a daily basis and make sure you dry them thoroughly after you are done, paying special attention to the areas between the toes.
- Moisturize your feet. Do so after every wash, but keep in mind that this time you should avoid the areas between your toes.
- Wear the right shoes. When you buy shoes, make sure they have plenty of room for your toes to move freely and that they provide enough support and cushioning.
- Trim your toenails the right way. Make sure you clip your nails straight across, and never share tools with others.
- Alternate between shoes. Give your footwear time to dry out completely before you wear them again.
Find Expert Nail Care at Advanced Foot Care
Remember, foot and ankle problems will not go away on their own – and this is especially true when it comes to conditions like fungal nails. So, though we certainly hope you are able to steer clear from these unsightly, painful problems, we also understand that things can still happen. And when they do, you should come visit our office for the professional treatment you need and deserve.
Together, we can help keep your toes healthy and restore pride in your feet once more. Simply give our office a call at (281) 292-7000 to schedule an appointment today, or fill out our online contact form.
Monday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Tuesday: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Wednesday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Thursday: 7:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Friday: 9:00 AM - 3:30 PM